Skip to main content

Chapter 38 The Compact.

Chapter 38 The Compact.

 

The first words that Albert uttered to his friend, on the

following morning, contained a request that Franz would

accompany him on a visit to the count; true, the young man

had warmly and energetically thanked the count on the

previous evening; but services such as he had rendered could

never be too often acknowledged. Franz, who seemed attracted

by some invisible influence towards the count, in which

terror was strangely mingled, felt an extreme reluctance to

permit his friend to be exposed alone to the singular

fascination that this mysterious personage seemed to

exercise over him, and therefore made no objection to

Albert's request, but at once accompanied him to the desired

spot, and, after a short delay, the count joined them in the

salon. "My dear count," said Albert, advancing to meet him,

"permit me to repeat the poor thanks I offered last night,

and to assure you that the remembrance of all I owe to you

will never be effaced from my memory; believe me, as long as

I live, I shall never cease to dwell with grateful

recollection on the prompt and important service you

rendered me; and also to remember that to you I am indebted

even for my life."

 

"My very good friend and excellent neighbor," replied the

count, with a smile, "you really exaggerate my trifling

exertions. You owe me nothing but some trifle of 20,000

francs, which you have been saved out of your travelling

expenses, so that there is not much of a score between us;

-- but you must really permit me to congratulate you on the

ease and unconcern with which you resigned yourself to your

fate, and the perfect indifference you manifested as to the

turn events might take."

 

"Upon my word," said Albert, "I deserve no credit for what I

could not help, namely, a determination to take everything

as I found it, and to let those bandits see, that although

men get into troublesome scrapes all over the world, there

is no nation but the French that can smile even in the face

of grim Death himself. All that, however, has nothing to do

with my obligations to you, and I now come to ask you

whether, in my own person, my family, or connections, I can

in any way serve you? My father, the Comte de Morcerf,

although of Spanish origin, possesses considerable

influence, both at the court of France and Madrid, and I

unhesitatingly place the best services of myself, and all to

whom my life is dear, at your disposal."

 

"Monsieur de Morcerf," replied the count, "your offer, far

from surprising me, is precisely what I expected from you,

and I accept it in the same spirit of hearty sincerity with

which it is made; -- nay, I will go still further, and say

that I had previously made up my mind to ask a great favor

at your hands."

 

"Oh, pray name it."

 

"I am wholly a stranger to Paris -- it is a city I have

never yet seen."

 

"Is it possible," exclaimed Albert, "that you have reached

your present age without visiting the finest capital in the

world? I can scarcely credit it."

 

"Nevertheless, it is quite true; still, I agree with you in

thinking that my present ignorance of the first city in

Europe is a reproach to me in every way, and calls for

immediate correction; but, in all probability, I should have

performed so important, so necessary a duty, as that of

making myself acquainted with the wonders and beauties of

your justly celebrated capital, had I known any person who

would have introduced me into the fashionable world, but

unfortunately I possessed no acquaintance there, and, of

necessity, was compelled to abandon the idea."

 

"So distinguished an individual as yourself," cried Albert,

"could scarcely have required an introduction."

 

"You are most kind; but as regards myself, I can find no

merit I possess, save that, as a millionaire, I might have

become a partner in the speculations of M. Aguado and M.

Rothschild; but as my motive in travelling to your capital

would not have been for the pleasure of dabbling in stocks,

I stayed away till some favorable chance should present

itself of carrying my wish into execution. Your offer,

however, smooths all difficulties, and I have only to ask

you, my dear M. de Morcerf" (these words were accompanied by

a most peculiar smile), "whether you undertake, upon my

arrival in France, to open to me the doors of that

fashionable world of which I know no more than a Huron or a

native of Cochin-China?"

 

"Oh, that I do, and with infinite pleasure," answered

Albert; "and so much the more readily as a letter received

this morning from my father summons me to Paris, in

consequence of a treaty of marriage (my dear Franz, do not

smile, I beg of you) with a family of high standing, and

connected with the very cream of Parisian society."

 

"Connected by marriage, you mean," said Franz, laughingly.

 

"Well, never mind how it is," answered Albert, "it comes to

the same thing in the end. Perhaps by the time you return to

Paris, I shall be quite a sober, staid father of a family! A

most edifying representative I shall make of all the

domestic virtues -- don't you think so? But as regards your

wish to visit our fine city, my dear count, I can only say

that you may command me and mine to any extent you please."

 

"Then it is settled," said the count, "and I give you my

solemn assurance that I only waited an opportunity like the

present to realize plans that I have long meditated." Franz

did not doubt that these plans were the same concerning

which the count had dropped a few words in the grotto of

Monte Cristo, and while the Count was speaking the young man

watched him closely, hoping to read something of his purpose

in his face, but his countenance was inscrutable especially

when, as in the present case, it was veiled in a sphinx-like

smile. "But tell me now, count," exclaimed Albert, delighted

at the idea of having to chaperon so distinguished a person

as Monte Cristo; "tell me truly whether you are in earnest,

or if this project of visiting Paris is merely one of the

chimerical and uncertain air castles of which we make so

many in the course of our lives, but which, like a house

built on the sand, is liable to be blown over by the first

puff of wind?"

 

"I pledge you my honor," returned the count, "that I mean to

do as I have said; both inclination and positive necessity

compel me to visit Paris."

 

"When do you propose going thither?"

 

"Have you made up your mind when you shall be there

yourself?"

 

"Certainly I have; in a fortnight or three weeks' time, that

is to say, as fast as I can get there!"

 

"Nay," said the Count; "I will give you three months ere I

join you; you see I make an ample allowance for all delays

and difficulties.

 

"And in three months' time," said Albert, "you will be at my

house?"

 

"Shall we make a positive appointment for a particular day

and hour?" inquired the count; "only let me warn you that I

am proverbial for my punctilious exactitude in keeping my

engagements."

 

"Day for day, hour for hour," said Albert; "that will suit

me to a dot."

 

"So be it, then," replied the count, and extending his hand

towards a calendar, suspended near the chimney-piece, he

said, "to-day is the 21st of February;" and drawing out his

watch, added, "it is exactly half-past ten o'clock. Now

promise me to remember this, and expect me the 21st of May

at the same hour in the forenoon."

 

"Capital," exclaimed Albert; "your breakfast shall be

waiting."

 

"Where do you live?"

 

"No. 27, Rue du Helder."

 

"Have you bachelor's apartments there? I hope my coming will

not put you to any inconvenience."

 

"I reside in my father's house, but occupy a pavilion at the

farther side of the court-yard, entirely separated from the

main building."

 

"Quite sufficient," replied the count, as, taking out his

tablets, he wrote down "No. 27, Rue du Helder, 21st May,

half-past ten in the morning."

 

"Now then," said the count, returning his tablets to his

pocket, "make yourself perfectly easy; the hand of your

time-piece will not be more accurate in marking the time

than myself."

 

"Shall I see you again ere my departure?" asked Albert.

 

"That depends; when do you leave?"

 

"To-morrow evening, at five o'clock."

 

"In that case I must say adieu to you, as I am compelled to

go to Naples, and shall not return hither before Saturday

evening or Sunday morning. And you, baron," pursued the

count, addressing Franz, "do you also depart to-morrow?"

 

"Yes."

 

"For France?"

 

"No, for Venice; I shall remain in Italy for another year or

two."

 

"Then we shall not meet in Paris?"

 

"I fear I shall not have that honor."

 

"Well, since we must part," said the count, holding out a

hand to each of the young men, "allow me to wish you both a

safe and pleasant journey." It was the first time the hand

of Franz had come in contact with that of the mysterious

individual before him, and unconsciously he shuddered at its

touch, for it felt cold and icy as that of a corpse. "Let us

understand each other," said Albert; "it is agreed -- is it

not? -- that you are to be at No. 27, in the Rue du Helder,

on the 21st of May, at half-past ten in the morning, and

your word of honor passed for your punctuality?"

 

"The 21st of May, at half-past ten in the morning, Rue du

Helder, No. 27," replied the Count. The young men then rose,

and bowing to the count, quitted the room. "What is the

matter?" asked Albert of Franz, when they had returned to

their own apartments; "you seem more than commonly

thoughtful."

 

"I will confess to you, Albert," replied Franz, "the count

is a very singular person, and the appointment you have made

to meet him in Paris fills me with a thousand

apprehensions."

 

"My dear fellow," exclaimed Albert, "what can there possibly

be in that to excite uneasiness? Why, you must have lost

your senses."

 

"Whether I am in my senses or not," answered Franz, "that is

the way I feel."

 

"Listen to me, Franz," said Albert; "I am glad that the

occasion has presented itself for saying this to you, for I

have noticed how cold you are in your bearing towards the

count, while he, on the other hand, has always been courtesy

itself to us. Have you anything particular against him?"

 

"Possibly."

 

"Did you ever meet him previously to coming hither?"

 

"I have."

 

"And where?"

 

"Will you promise me not to repeat a single word of what I

am about to tell you?"

 

"I promise."

 

"Upon your honor?"

 

"Upon my honor."

 

"Then listen to me." Franz then related to his friend the

history of his excursion to the Island of Monte Cristo and

of his finding a party of smugglers there, and the two

Corsican bandits with them. He dwelt with considerable force

and energy on the almost magical hospitality he had received

from the count, and the magnificence of his entertainment in

the grotto of the "Thousand and One Nights." He recounted,

with circumstantial exactitude, all the particulars of the

supper, the hashish, the statues, the dream, and how, at his

awakening, there remained no proof or trace of all these

events, save the small yacht, seen in the distant horizon

driving under full sail toward Porto-Vecchio. Then he

detailed the conversation overheard by him at the Colosseum,

between the count and Vampa, in which the count had promised

to obtain the release of the bandit Peppino, -- an

engagement which, as our readers are aware, he most

faithfully fulfilled. At last he arrived at the adventure of

the preceding night, and the embarrassment in which he found

himself placed by not having sufficient cash by six or seven

hundred piastres to make up the sum required, and finally of

his application to the count and the picturesque and

satisfactory result that followed. Albert listened with the

most profound attention. "Well," said he, when Franz had

concluded, "what do you find to object to in all you have

related? The count is fond of travelling, and, being rich,

possesses a vessel of his own. Go but to Portsmouth or

Southampton, and you will find the harbors crowded with the

yachts belonging to such of the English as can afford the

expense, and have the same liking for this amusement. Now,

by way of having a resting-place during his excursions,

avoiding the wretched cookery -- which has been trying its

best to poison me during the last four months, while you

have manfully resisted its effects for as many years, -- and

obtaining a bed on which it is possible to slumber, Monte

Cristo has furnished for himself a temporary abode where you

first found him; but, to prevent the possibility of the

Tuscan government taking a fancy to his enchanted palace,

and thereby depriving him of the advantages naturally

expected from so large an outlay of capital, he has wisely

enough purchased the island, and taken its name. Just ask

yourself, my good fellow, whether there are not many persons

of our acquaintance who assume the names of lands and

properties they never in their lives were masters of?"

 

"But," said Franz, "the Corsican bandits that were among the

crew of his vessel?"

 

"Why, really the thing seems to me simple enough. Nobody

knows better than yourself that the bandits of Corsica are

not rogues or thieves, but purely and simply fugitives,

driven by some sinister motive from their native town or

village, and that their fellowship involves no disgrace or

stigma; for my own part, I protest that, should I ever go to

Corsica, my first visit, ere even I presented myself to the

mayor or prefect, should be to the bandits of Colomba, if I

could only manage to find them; for, on my conscience, they

are a race of men I admire greatly."

 

"Still," persisted Franz, "I suppose you will allow that

such men as Vampa and his band are regular villains, who

have no other motive than plunder when they seize your

person. How do you explain the influence the count evidently

possessed over those ruffians?"

 

"My good friend, as in all probability I own my present

safety to that influence, it would ill become me to search

too closely into its source; therefore, instead of

condemning him for his intimacy with outlaws, you must give

me leave to excuse any little irregularity there may be in

such a connection; not altogether for preserving my life,

for my own idea was that it never was in much danger, but

certainly for saving me 4,000 piastres, which, being

translated, means neither more nor less than 24,000 livres

of our money -- a sum at which, most assuredly, I should

never have been estimated in France, proving most

indisputably," added Albert with a laugh, "that no prophet

is honored in his own country."

 

"Talking of countries," replied Franz, "of what country is

the count, what is his native tongue, whence does he derive

his immense fortune, and what were those events of his early

life -- a life as marvellous as unknown -- that have

tinctured his succeeding years with so dark and gloomy a

misanthropy? Certainly these are questions that, in your

place, I should like to have answered."

 

"My dear Franz," replied Albert, "when, upon receipt of my

letter, you found the necessity of asking the count's

assistance, you promptly went to him, saying, `My friend

Albert de Morcerf is in danger; help me to deliver him.' Was

not that nearly what you said?"

 

"It was."

 

"Well, then, did he ask you, `Who is M. Albert de Morcerf?

how does he come by his name -- his fortune? what are his

means of existence? what is his birthplace! of what country

is he a native?' Tell me, did he put all these questions to

you?"

 

"I confess he asked me none."

 

"No; he merely came and freed me from the hands of Signor

Vampa, where, I can assure you, in spite of all my outward

appearance of ease and unconcern, I did not very

particularly care to remain. Now, then, Franz, when, for

services so promptly and unhesitatingly rendered, he but

asks me in return to do for him what is done daily for any

Russian prince or Italian nobleman who may pass through

Paris -- merely to introduce him into society -- would you

have me refuse? My good fellow, you must have lost your

senses to think it possible I could act with such

cold-blooded policy." And this time it must be confessed

that, contrary to the usual state of affairs in discussions

between the young men, the effective arguments were all on

Albert's side.

 

"Well," said Franz with a sigh, "do as you please my dear

viscount, for your arguments are beyond my powers of

refutation. Still, in spite of all, you must admit that this

Count of Monte Cristo is a most singular personage."

 

"He is a philanthropist," answered the other; "and no doubt

his motive in visiting Paris is to compete for the Monthyon

prize, given, as you are aware, to whoever shall be proved

to have most materially advanced the interests of virtue and

humanity. If my vote and interest can obtain it for him, I

will readily give him the one and promise the other. And

now, my dear Franz, let us talk of something else. Come,

shall we take our luncheon, and then pay a last visit to St.

Peter's?" Franz silently assented; and the following

afternoon, at half-past five o'clock, the young men parted.

Albert de Morcerf to return to Paris, and Franz d'Epinay to

pass a fortnight at Venice. But, ere he entered his

travelling carriage, Albert, fearing that his expected guest

might forget the engagement he had entered into, placed in

the care of a waiter at the hotel a card to be delivered to

the Count of Monte Cristo, on which, beneath the name of

Vicomte Albert de Morcerf, he had written in pencil -- "27,

Rue du Helder, on the 21st May, half-past ten A.M."

 

 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Chapter 88- The Insult.

Chapter 88 The Insult.   At the banker's door Beauchamp stopped Morcerf. "Listen," said he; "just now I told you it was of M. de Monte Cristo you must demand an explanation."   "Yes; and we are going to his house."   "Reflect, Morcerf, one moment before you go."   "On what shall I reflect?"   "On the importance of the step you are taking."   "Is it more serious than going to M. Danglars?"   "Yes; M. Danglars is a money-lover, and those who love money, you know, think too much of what they risk to be easily induced to fight a duel. The other is, on the contrary, to all appearance a true nobleman; but do you not fear to find him a bully?"   "I only fear one thing; namely, to find a man who will not fight."   "Do not be alarmed," said Beauchamp; "he will meet you. My only fear is that he will be too strong for you."  

About the Book- The Count of Monte Cristo

About- The Count of Monte Cristo The Count of Monte Cristo (French: Le Comte de Monte-Cristo) is an adventure novel by Alexandre Dumas. It is often considered, along with The Three Musketeers, as Dumas' most popular work. It is also among the highest selling books of all time. The writing of the work was completed in 1844. Like many of his novels, it is expanded from the plot outlines suggested by his collaborating ghostwriter Auguste Maquet.[1] The story takes place in France, Italy, islands in the Mediterranean and the Levant during the historical events of 1815–1838 (from just before the Hundred Days through the reign of Louis-Philippe of France). The historical setting is a fundamental element of the book. It is primarily concerned with themes of hope, justice, vengeance, mercy, and forgiveness, and is told in the style of an adventure story. Buy the Penguin Classics Version of "Count of Monte Cristo"   Characters There are a large number of char

Chapter 18 The Treasure.

Chapter 18   The Treasure.   When Dantes returned next morning to the chamber of his companion in captivity, he found Faria seated and looking composed. In the ray of light which entered by the narrow window of his cell, he held open in his left hand, of which alone, it will be recollected, he retained the use, a sheet of paper, which, from being constantly rolled into a small compass, had the form of a cylinder, and was not easily kept open. He did not speak, but showed the paper to Dantes.   "What is that?" he inquired.   "Look at it," said the abbe with a smile.   "I have looked at it with all possible attention," said Dantes, "and I only see a half-burnt paper, on which are traces of Gothic characters inscribed with a peculiar kind of ink."   "This paper, my friend," said Faria, "I may now avow to you, since I have the proof of your fidelity -- this paper is my treasure, of which, f